What do Kingsholm C of E Primary School governors do?
Drawing on our distinctive Christian ethos, Kingsholm C of E Primary School and Nursery Governors work to provide opportunities for our children to experience `life in all its fullness'. We see our governors as an important part of the school community. `Our Kingsholm Family', and all our work is underpinned by the school's values of Love, Respect and Honesty.
Governors at Kingsholm provide oversight and accountability of the school's life. We work together as a governing board - our decisions are joint ones, no individual governors make decisions on their own. This is called `collective responsibility'. Our board is established in law as a corporate body.
The governing board holds the main responsibility for the financial management of the school and we work with the senior management team to make major decisions, including how the school is staffed and difficult decisions such as how to balance resources. The governors are also responsible for appointing the head teacher and the deputy head teacher.
In our key strategic role we focus on setting the aims and objectives of the school, and set policies and targets to achieve these. In order to achieve this work we:
- Commit to attend meetings across the school year (we have six full governing body meetings each year and committee meetings / working groups of smaller numbers of governors. Regular attendance at meetings is a legal requirement of all governors.
- We take collective responsibility for our decisions and the school.
- We support and also challenge the school in a constructive and mutually supportive way.
- We set and regularly review all school policies, always keeping in mind our school's core belief and values.
- We work with the school to ensure that the schools operational plan is followed and we set targets to achieve this.
- We come into school regularly, conducting monitoring visits throughout the year to evaluate the school's progress to achieve the operational plan and attend school events.
- We read an awful lot - both school documents and extra reading to ensure we are aware of wider educatonal issues.
- We undertake regular training to help us gain a better understanding of our role and to help the school progress.
Why we do it:
As you can see being a governor does involve a huge amount of time and commitment. Being a governor is a voluntary role, we are not paid for the work we do, even though we are legally responsible for our school’s management. However, everyone who serves as a governor at Kingsholm C of E Primary School does so because we want to ensure that ‘life in all its fullness’ is achievable for all the children in our care – we want our pupils to see and reach their full potential, both academically and in a holistic manner. We want all of our community to be part of Our Kingsholm Family.
If you are interested in becoming part of our governing board please contact Mrs Paula Fowke (Clerk to the Governors) at email@example.com to see if there are any current vacancies.
All school governors are subject to an enhanced DBS check before taking up their appointment.
For further information about becoming a school governor you might like to look at these links